Think of your website as the front desk of your business.
It’ll take not more than 50 milliseconds for your visitors to form an opinion about your website. This means you’ll have approximately 0.05 seconds to create a great first impression.
From your website’s fonts to CTAs, every single element should contribute towards delivering an outstanding customer experience. On top of this, these elements should also help you achieve your business and marketing goals in an efficient manner.
But designing a stunning and well-performing website isn’t a piece of cake.
You can’t get up one day and decide to get your website up and running without having a strategy in place.
That’s the reason we’ve put together our personalized website-design checklist, which you can refer to build a stunning website in 2021.
However, if you are thinking of redesigning your website, check out our “Redesigning your website? Here’s How You Can Keep Your SEO Rankings Unharmed.”
On the other hand, if it’s your first time making your way into the digital world, continue reading.
Your Go-To Website Design Checklist in 2021
- Gather Requirements
- Register the Domain Name & Opt for a Reliable & Secure Web Hosting Service
- Plan Layout & Structure of Your Website
- Lock in a Reliable Website Builder
- Focus on Visuals & Content
Let’s focus on every single point in your website design checklist.
Whether you are building a website for yourself or for one of your clients, you need to be clear on the requirements. For instance, if you want to build a website for your pest control business based in Boise, Idaho, then you’d want a huge number of your prospects to schedule a call with you. On the other hand, if you are in charge of an online store, you’d want your prospects to add products to their carts and purchase them straight away.
So, the first step is to gain deeper insights into the business model. Dive deep into what you’re offering and who the target audience is. Put yourself in your audience’s shoes and try to understand what’d make them take the desired action.
List out the goals and objectives. And most importantly, ask yourself:
- What’s the point of the website?
- What would make the target audience take the desired action?
- What would make them feel frustrated?
- Which keywords should I be targeting?
- What’s my budget?
- Should I ask the developer to build my website from scratch or tap into the power of a website builder like WordPress or Wix?
Register the Domain Name & Opt for a Reliable & Secure Web Hosting Service
Once you are clear on the requirements, the next step in our website design checklist is to register your domain name. While selecting one, make sure that it matches your business name and is followed by your organization type or region.
For example, if your business name is Apple, then a reliable domain name is www.apple.com.
Let’s say you want to target your customers based in India, then you can have a domain name – www.apple.in.
Here, instead of .com, we used .in.
The domain name can be broken down in two parts:
- Your business or company name
- Organization Type or region
Prior to locking in a domain name, think of your long-term plan. Brainstorm some potential names. Look for availability. Reevaluate the domain name with your team members and if approved, register it straight away.
Once registered, it’s time to opt for a secure and reliable web hosting service.
Some of the top web hosting services include:
- And many more!
Think of web hosting as a renting space. Here, you’ll be storing all your website content, elements, pages, slideshows, and more.
While selecting a web hosting service that’s suitable for you, consider the following questions:
- Where are the servers located?
- What’s the guaranteed uptime?
- What kind of security features are offered?
- How easy is it to scale up or down?
- Do they provide SSL?
- What’s the downtime history?
- What’s their backup policy?
- How many customers are on a single server?
Answers to these questions will help you paint a clear picture and make your decision.
Plan Layout & Structure of Your Website
Prior to designing your website, you need to create your website structure. This will help you determine the number of pages you’d like to create, gain insights into the layout of each page and understand what you need to build a brilliant website design.
In short, you’ll be turning the process smoother.
You can build a layout using a pen or paper, whiteboard, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, or any other reliable software.
Make sure that you are including:
- Eye-Catching Headlines & Taglines
- A Section to Cover Your Audience’s Pain Points
- Call-to-Actions (CTAs)
- Navigation Bar
We have a “How to Create Your Website Structure?” blog post in the pipeline and will soon roll it out. Before we do, we’d like to give you a quick overview allowing you to understand the steps you should take to create your website structure:
- Conduct Thorough Keywords & Competitors’ Research
- Plan Out Your Website Hierarchy
- Create Website URL Structure
- Create Simple & Logical Navigation
- Create Navigation with HTML & CSS
- Create a Fool-Proof Internal Linking Strategy
- Create a Website Sitemap
Lock in a Reliable Website Builder
More than 455 million websites are powered by WordPress. And that’s just WordPress we are talking about. Imagine the number of websites that are being powered by other website builders like Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, and many more.
These days, nobody and let me repeat that for you – nobody builds a website from scratch. With website builders, you can easily get your website up and running in a matter of days. And the best part is that these websites will not be just-for-the-sake-of-it kind websites.
The right website builder will smooth out the entire process for you. You can start with pre-designed templates, ready-to-use tools and applications, and pre-populated web pages. All you got to do is make the required changes, add your content, and hit the publish button.
Sounds simple, doesn’t it?
Trust me – it’s not. You need to take into consideration numerous factors like your customers’ purchasing behavior, their needs, pain points, and many more.
But, while doing so, you won’t have to worry about building your website right from scratch.
Focus on Visuals & Content
Now, the other important elements in our website design checklist include:
- Designing a Simple, Yet Reliable Logo
- Choose the Right Color Scheme
- Choose the Right Colors & Fonts
- Create Website Copy & Content
- Source & Create Images, Banners & Video for Your Website
- Upload the Videos to the Video Hosting Platforms
- Make Sure that the Design is Simple, Yet Sleek
- Your Website Should Perform Extremely Well & Deliver an Outstanding Customer Experience
- Make Sure that Your Website is Mobile-Friendly
- Have Compelling CTAs in Place
At the same time, you need to make sure that your consumers don’t find themselves confused while exploring your website. Also, it’s critical for your website loading speed to be extremely high.
Take the First Step Towards Establishing Your Online Presence Today!
That’s not all.
Website design isn’t a linear path.
You need to consider various factors to turn your website design and development process into a major success. And that’s why we advise you to keep our website design checklist handy.
And if you want to actually build a stunning website for your business, our experts at Redfox Visual would love nothing more than providing you our top-notch Web Design & Development services.
So, what are you waiting for?
Reach out to the #1 Website Design Agency in Boise, Idaho today.